Tuesday, April 10, 2007

A dish served cold.

Gentle Readers, the opportunity for revenge fell into my lap today, neat as you please.

While I was getting ready for school this morning, the phone wouldn't stop ringing. Thinking it was a telemarketer I let it ring, and gave it no mind, until I checked my cell phone as I was about to leave for class...

My mother had called no less than three times. I called her back. Probably, she had left her curling iron off, and was sure it was on, and wanted me to check. This happens fairly often, you see.

Instead, she was crying when she answered the phone.

She had gotten into a car accident.

She needed me to come pick her up, she cried to me.

I looked at the clock; class started in less than twenty minutes. Petty, I know. Or I think I know. Is it petty to still be seething about my own car accident, and her refusal to come wait with me, because, after all "what could she do?"? I already called AAA, my friend's family was coming to me, the police were there, and Cliff would soon be there (though I didn't know that when she refused).

Is it petty? I'm not sure.

Twenty minutes to class though.

She was coming down Chastain, the same road that hosted my car accident, and someone pulled out from that small road behind the Walgreen's. The car in front of her, a SUV, braked hard and came to a full stop. Needless to say, my mother did not. The front of her Mercedes is folded up like an accordion, one of the headlight covers is shattered, and the front bumper is a little dented. It's all surface damage, and the wheels appear alright, unlike on my car when the accident was over.

And you know what I did?

Can you guess?

I called my Professor to let him know I'd be late, and went and picked her up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you :) Tell her I hope she's alright.

cliff said...

You did right.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

No question. You did the right thing.

Jared Miller said...

Good job.