Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Loathing

I had this bad moment of crushing defeat last night. There was this knitted shawl I saw on the Anticraft site months ago, and I fell in love with it, only I didn't know the stitches involved. While I was in Italy I looked at the pattern again, fell even more in love with it, decided as soon as I got home I was going to make it. And once I got home it became 'get a job before getting all the yarn' so it just kept being put off and off and more off after I couldn't learn the stitch the way it was described from Kevin's Mom. Eventually I got the missing yarn. And then I found online how to knit videos that showed the two stitches I needed.

Knit knit knit.

It looks good. Everyone is impressed. I've got the tassles cut, the colors look great together, everything is working until I get to the bind off.

And I realize something has gone horribly wrong because there aren't enough tassles. And it's not like I cut too few. One of the stitches was a stitch that adds more stitches and apparently I used it too much, and the shawl is now six stitches wider at one end, which is six inches longer, which means I'm six tassles short. And I'm out of yarn.

It's not even something I'd want to fix by getting more yarn and making more tassles because it's lopsided and I screwed up, and I finally got so angry I had to throw the shawl in the dark corner of the garage so Mom would stop talking about how it looked perfect just like it was and that I could just use another color to make more tassles and no one would notice.

1 comment:

Jean in Georgia said...

Sweetie, this is where you personalize it. If you love the yarn, and you love the work you've done on it, wear it proudly, tassles or no, and proudly take compliments when someone asks where you got it and you say "I made this". And don't be surprised if people ask if you'll make them one.

I'm the most hypercritical person of my own work that ever existed. I can find flaws in everything I've ever done. And guess what? Other people can't see them. Especially those who can't knit or do counted thread work or needlepoint. So I've learned to say "Thank you" and stop pointing out to them where I went wrong.

Just sayin'. :)