Sunday, October 14, 2007

Night and Day, Day and Night

I've been on a Cole Porter kick for about two weeks now. It turns out John Barrowman, Tochwood's Captain Jack Harkness (squeeee), has a singing voice. Boy, oh boy, does he have a singing voice, and a penchant for the classics. One thing led to another and suddenly all those classic songs that I hadn't realized were by the same writer were, and I wanted to listen to all of them.

While I was doing my math homework this evening Mom was watching the Poirot film "Evil Under the Sun", and I found myself humming along with the end credits, only belatedly realizing they were "Night and Day". Some version I hadn't heard before.

I thought I had more versions of it on my iPod, but I don't. One is a repeat, just labeled differently.

There's a chipper sounding instrumental version by Bireli Lagrene, Fred Astair who sounds really tinny and high pitched, and John Barrowman singing with Kevin Kline from the De-Lovely soundtrack. I was sure Dinah Shore had covered it, too...

Funny how so many people can sing it, and make it sound so different.

No comments: