Monday, August 13, 2007

Vacation Recap

Vacation was good. It was family vacation, which meant by the end of it there was drama, but the beach was nice and hot and the water was just great. It was sort of an emerald green, but there wasn't much to see under it except for Remoras and these lemon sized silver fish with yellow fins that I've forgotten the name of. And Jelly Fish. Which I've already had to unfun of experiencing close up and personal.

I managed to sun burn my right forearm the first day, which put a hamper on my beach time, but it wasn't like I was planning on being there between the hours of ten and two anyway.

Read the whole of Eclipse on the day it came out. It made me feel terribly girly, because the entire time I was cheering Edward and Bella to get married. I mean, I read romance novels and feel less girly. I donno. They're so cute together.

Watched some good Mythbusters episodes too, when Fred wasn't constantly changing the channel to CNN or Fox News then proceding to rant about how America keeps failing it's citizens about EVERYTHING. I got tired of the news really fast. And anytime we were in the car he'd set his XM Radio to the news, so there wasn't an escape from the news/rants.

Well, thats not entirely true. There was an escape. Not being around Fred. *chuckle*

Uncle Gary came on vacation with us, with his golden Saddie, who is one of the shyest sweetest dogs ever. Bailey of course displayed a complete lack of manners, stalked her around the house the entire time, barked at her, and finally pissed Saddie off to the point that Saddie bit her. Fred immediatly freaked and wanted to take her to the Emergency Room. At the People Hospital. And put her on Antibiotics.

Fred also took Bailey on at least eight walks a day and got chased from the beach four times by the local Sherrif because vacationers can't get permits for dogs on the beach, and Fred really didn't care because he was taking Bailey to the beach by god.

Because really, really this was Bailey's vacation with Fred, and we just happened to go along because we're her entourage.

But I did try to point out to him that his complaining about the lack of law enforcement in relation to CNN and Fox News was kind of silly when he wanted the law not enforced on the beach for him and the dog. He didn't get it. Started ranting again.

I retreated into my books around then.

Uncle Gary and I had a spat, which he started, when he got angry that I didn't like him elbowing me in the car. Quoted a lot of Dr. Phil at me (which is kinda scary). I'm just not used to people elbowing me when they want to talk to me. I'm still not sure what he was so upset about. He acted like me asking him not to do it was like me telling him I never wanted to speak to him again.

Um. But vacation was great. We had this little beach house, with a pool, and the food was good, read three books while I was there, and then on Friday night I suddenly knew how this conversation between Lucas and Terry went (from last year's Nano) and I had to have a notebook RIGHT THEN, which meant we had to drive to the local Publix. I got my notebook and a new pen, and sat down. I wrote twenty pages right there, in one sitting. And on the way back in the car I wrote about seven more. Got past their conversation, which was holding me up, and got through the battle that followed, but I know thats going to need a rewrite since I wrote it in the car, cramped in the backseat with the dog and Fred hollering every half hour when the news cycled back around to the story that pissed him off.

And now I'm off to my first Freecycle pickup. Hooray! Free recycled stuff!

And later, work! Hooray!

Oh, and by the way, Stardust is pretty good. Much better than I expected, since I didn't much care for the book. It has a real sense of grandure in all the shots, sort of like some of the big vista type scenes in Lord of the Rings. And the ending is different, which is a real plus for me. Bourne Ultimatium was great, even though Jason did not kick anyone hard enough for their head to fly off. But there were guns and explosions and action stuff and so much spy speak that my little fangirl heart was going. Even Almighty was funny, I'll give it that.

No comments: