Friday, June 22, 2007

School is Not Out for Summer

Thank god.

For those of you in the know (and have probably heard me bitching about this at least *once* a semester) KSU has again tried to end my college career.

Usually it's a typo somewhere, or some mailing list I've accidentally gotten on (thanks Admissions Office!), or the School claims it's not their job to inform me of anything and therefore I should have known to look on some obscure part of their website to see that they didn't tell me about a fee that they charged me for and then didn't tell me about the late fees they tacked onto that since I never paid the fee since I didn't know about it and now I have two days to pay the exorbidant bill or I'll have all my classes cancled.

The thing is, I love college. I love the classes, the books (not the prices), making my own schedule, having teachers talk to you like you're a real person. Pretty much everything. Especially the Halo Effect of being a College Student.

*begin rant*

What I hate is KSU. There's this guy that works in the Bursars office who's probably won the Most Callous Jerk of the year award for several years running. And of the people I've had to deal with in the Finantial Aid office this semester alone, there has been the Director who listened to ESPN Radio on his computer while I tried to explain my situation, and the guy who gets belligerent with me every time I go in there ("But I don't understand how I can be in Academic Failure when I had a B average last semester." "Well, I don't understand any other way I can explain it to you.")

I can't wait until I graduate so the Alumni Association can call me to ask for a donation and I can tell them where they can put it.

*end rant*

So, what happened after being mislead on my paperwork to solve the Problem-of-the-Semester is that had I been told correctly what was going on THREE WEEKS AGO I probably could have gone to the SAP Committee then and pled my case, rather than filling out paperwork for them, which was only going to be filed in the fall (thanks Finantial Aid!), and after three weeks there was nothing to be done about the situation the school created and that I had to pay for my tuition out of pocket. Not something you like to hear with less than a week to come up with said tuition.

Dad came up with it yesterday, right before the 5pm deadline. So I'm a college student for at least the rest of this semester, and I'm supposed to wait and see what the Committee says about Fall. Fat chance. I'm going to the Dean as soon as possible, and the Student Success Dean, and pretty much anyone else I can get to listen to me at school.


On other topics, I saw over on Charles' blog that he was writing about "Comfort Reading". Hrm. I'm not sure that I do that. But I have travel reading. I always take Clive Barker's The Thief of Always with me when I go on a trip. I was very happy when it came out in comics a few years ago, and I thought the art did a great job of capturing all the characters. Nearly as good a job as Barker's own sketches did. Jive was always a favorite of mine with his shark's grin, and Carna always made me feel pity...

And as for Brett... I still remember the time I was in a coffee shop for a Nanowrimo 2006 event and someone said "Rofl" right in the middle of a conversation. I think it was the first time I'd ever actually heard someone say an internet word. Since then it's been everywhere.

No comments: