Monday, May 21, 2007

pre-Script Frenzy

Script Frenzy is fast approaching, and the closer it gets the more apprehensive I feel.

I've never written a script before, really, except for the one comic script I didn't finish, and evidently that kind of script is so different that it doesn't count... And despite the fact that I bought a new notebook, I've only written two pages of notes for my Script.

Usually I can write a whole notebook of notes, about the region, the people, the races, magic, whatever. I look at my two pages, and they seems kind of... Sufficient, which is impossible. The Script is supposed to be 20,000 words (Script Frenzy's official finish line) and since this is a movie, it's supposed to be 120 pages if you're measuring a script the right way (Thanks Jared and Allison).

In my mind there's two stumbling blocks here: First, the lack of script writing experience, and Second, the fact that I'm writing slice-of-life this time, which is a genre I've only ever vaguely dabbled in.

Even when I've dabbled in it, there have been hit men included. And hit men, while not supernatural by any means (usually) are something *different* from your average class of citizen, and *different* is what I'm good at.

And this script has nothing *different* about it. No vampires, no werewolves, no hit men; there's not even a magic portal or a talking animal to be seen. Just normal people.... Which is a little scary in it's own way.

The other scary part is being a beacon of writerlyness during the month of June. It's the same thing I do in Novembers, now that I'm a ML. I have to stand up and look good and finish my Nano/Script no matter what. Which is fine, because in the three years I've done Nano, I've completed all of them (for the word count, anyway, 2006's is still ongoing). So, basically I have to finish mine, and I have to organize writing parties and events and talk people down from ledges when they think they can't get their writing done... It's pretty much fun. I like having the writing parties, and meeting the other people.

In the end I am still psyched about it. I can't wait to start. Er. Once I get some more notes.

1 comment:

Sya said...

I think a lot of people are in the same boat. I've never written a script before either and I have no idea how this will turn out. Maybe it has to do with familiarity--everyone has read a novel before so have some idea about how to write one. But how many people have read scripts? And watching movies don't count.