Wednesday, July 2, 2008

There's a what in the fridge?



Off the back of my Kroger Brand Coffee. In the spirit of the OMG Cholesterol pic. First, I didn't know there was a "wet" section in the fridge/freezer. Secondly, what do you keep in there?

I bought a new French cuff shirt yesterday, nice cream colored thing with a woven-in sort of pinstripe thing that makes little boxes in the fabric. It made me wish there was a Taxonomy of Men's Shirts site. It's got a strange collar/cuff variation that I couldn't spot on Wikipedia- there's a corner taken out of the cuffs when they're folded over and cuff linked in place. Same thing with the collar- instead of coming to a proper triangle point they sort of swoop back like someone took the corner off them too. I wore the shirt with my keyhole cuff links. ^_^

Oh right. Reason I needed a new shirt was that I was really nervous about Fiction Writing class. We were having our first workshop and Aubrey and I did our stories first, and sent them in over the weekend for people to write critiques about. Faced with fifteen random people who'd read something I'd written in three days (it was assigned late Tuesday night, due Friday, had to do research for it...) I was wanting to climb out a window rather than hear how much they hated it. Anxiety shopping is bad, but... Anyway, turns out no one hated it. A lot of people liked it, a lot of people never read fantasy of any sort and were a little confused by the whole thing, a lot of people thought a sort of minor character was a lot more important than she was. There were a few "explain this more" bits, and someone didn't know the word "warren" (did i miss something and it went out of usage?). The teacher was very impressed I did twelve pages in the amount of time I was given, but told me he thought the story was longer than I'd written it; it was, I just had three days and realized I couldn't hack out the 25-35 pages I thought it was, so I wrapped it up where I could. He liked that answer. (another out of usage moment- apparently "jimmy olsen" is a very dated reference- i forgot Superman was canceled in the 1950s.....?). Apparently I need to tell people the story takes place in England because the hints of "sweets", "petrol stations", "football" (combined with) "Manchester" (in the same sentence), "Blackpool", about five hundred mentions of "toffee", and the curse word "shite" weren't enough clues. I did use the word "gibbous" to describe some moons. It was very awesome to do that; I hope Howard could hear me. The best compliment of the night was a lot of people wanted to see more of the story and know where the character was going. The other best compliment of the night was the teacher telling us some quote about how some people have novels inside them and some have short stories; he then told me I have the breadth of novels in me.

Um. Oh. Right. My friend Allison started a webcomic. It's pretty. There's only about three pages right now, but they're really pretty. Maybe you should go look at them? Forewarning, she's got a splash page up right now with a mermaid on it; you can guess why that's not worksafe. Seafoam.

No comments: