Friday, July 25, 2008

Freecycle Victory

I don't know if you guys have heard of Freecycle, but it's awesome. In Arizona they had problems with people throwing away too much stuff, and a lot of it was still useful- just not to the person who currently had it. So someone (i forgot his name) had a bright idea to make a bunch of area specific mailing lists that people in that county or town could post if they had something they needed to get rid of, but thought someone else might like. You can post wanted ads too, but you've got to give something away for each wanted post you put up. Lots of funny things get given away, someone had too many spider plants in their yard the other week, and someone else was getting rid of a spare door from their basement, stuff like that. I usually use it to pass on books I've read, if I don't feel like taking them to the used book store. But I've gotten a tea pot, things like that, out of it. One time I asked for knitting supplies, since I'd just started and a nice lady told me she had a bag of yarn she would like to give me- I drove over thinking it'd be a grocery bag and found it was a fall leaf litter sized bag jammed almost to bursting with yarn. Too big for my trunk!

Anyway, I finished some books, put an offer up for them, and at the same time asked for knitting needles. A nice lady over off Sandy Plains replied to me, telling me she had a bag of them. When I got there it was sort of like the "too much yarn" time- I've got a bag with over fifty needles in it! And circulars! Brilliant! I can't wait to go home and start knitting on them! Thanks Freecycle!

No comments: