Sunday, December 23, 2007

Everything old is new again

Tonight we were going to watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. For probably the hundreth time. Blarg. I think the only Christmas movie I've only seen once is "Christmas in Conneticut", and as much as I liked that, I'm not sure I'll be leaping in front of the tv to see it again this year.

However, by snatching the remote and scanning the channels I found something called (and I'm not kidding)....

"Santa Claus Conquers the Martians"

It was just as good/bad as the title promised. I think I need a copy for next year, and maybe throw a party for watching it.

Basically, it's 1964 SciFi about how the Martian children are watching our Earth TVs and having learned of Santa Claus and toys, they've become despondent and lifeless, and their leader Kimar (who has two despondent Martian kids) goes to earth to kidnap Santa and bring joy and toys and carols to Mars. There's this bad Martian who thinks toys are evil and will ruin Mars forever, and somehow Kimar lets him go along on the Earth trip with his crew and Voldar nearly puts Santa and some kids out an airlock at one point...

I'm so glad I taped it. It was funny. The dialog was too serious in some points; they'd almost say something like, "It's later than you think." or "It was a dark and stormy night." only they're Martians kidnapping Santa and two earth kids keep thwarting everything on their spaceship, so you can't help laughing along with it.

And now, to make all my wishes come true about having a copy, guess what I just found? Aparently Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is public domain. Hooray! Make your own copy here! And a merry go-conquer-Mars-and-bring-Christmas-to-all!

2 comments:

Jason said...

How have you never heard of this before? It's one of the classic MST3K episodes. That's a bad Whitney! Go find the MST version, now!

^_^

~J

Anonymous said...

I had the MST3K of that at my house via Netflix. I just sent it back, actually. Get with the program.

*ducks*