Sunday, December 16, 2007

Ideas

It's funny, for a long time in my teens I thought, with some desperation, my writing days were over. I was on Ritalin for a while, and when I quit taking it nothing would come to me. It was like that for a year, where I'd stare at a white piece of paper and nothing would come to me. I'd read books and want to write something, only there weren't any ideas. Nothing. It was like that quote about how there's a thousand ideas for writing something around all of us everyday, and the lucky writers are the ones that see five of six of them.

And I guess the non-writers see nothing. It was like that. Nothing creative, for a year. Eventually I got better and it came back to me, but there were times where I'd come up with a new idea every twenty pages of what I was writing, and I finished nothing in my haste to get to the next idea. I'd go through a pack or two of lined paper a week, because I wrote everything long hand then. Back then I'd never have believed the idea of me working on one novel for more than a year. I'd either be done with it, or moved on to something else, and Rome still commands my attention and will for a while considering my college enforced pace.

I was mucking about on Wikipedia the other night trying to pin down exactly what kind of SciFi I'd been thinking about the last few weeks, and under steampunk there were five or six other genres that came out of it or went into it, and it was funny because I hadn't really seen genre charted on Wiki before. I mean, there's everything, so it's not really a surprise. So, steampunk, retro-futurism, raygun gothic.

(seriously, don't we all want to write something we can call "raygun gothic"? that's got to be one of the best genre names ever)

And of course I got a new idea for a story, and it just makes me so happy to do that that I just wanted to blog about it. It's always the random stuff that gives you the ideas. Anyway, I have to finish writing a Doctor Who story for a contest before I can really start doing steampunk lit, but just the idea of it. Rayguns and Victorian corsetry yay!

No comments: