Friday, September 17, 2010

Why I Don't Like Apple

Ok, I have some good news about the whole iPod Touch thing. After about forty minutes on the phone with tech support- who I do have a warranty with, despite what the website says- and much troubleshooting and reinstalling we both admitted the iPod was probably bricked. Then Felix, the tech support guy, made me an appointment at the Lenox Apple Store so I could get it looked at, just in case.

I drove down to Lenox today and went to the jampacked Apple Store. Forty-five minutes after my appointment time I finally was called up to the bar to have my iPod looked at. The man at the counter implied it was my Windows computer that was the problem twice before he'd actually plug in my iPod and see how bricked it was. After about three minutes of it plugged into his MacBook he finally did a restore on it- thankfully it restored and now my laptop is updating it.

The part that got me was after he'd restored it he told me two more times that the iPod might not work with my computer, then asked if it was a laptop so maybe if it didn't work I could bring it up. I told him, yes, it was, and then he sneered.

"Well, I can't say I'll be happy to see your computer in my store, but, I think I can try to troubleshoot it."

I just stared at him.

I have worked in retail for about ten years now, and I hate going to people's managers and making a scene. I have had costumers I've done nothing to do it in hopes of free food or gift cards or whatever. I didn't go to his manager, I didn't even say anything to him, which I'm sort of regretting.

Yeah, you know what, I have a Windows Computer. And it works really, really well. I love it. And you know what, if you have an Apple and you feel the exact same way? Good for you! I'm not going to try and change your mind and talk to you like I'm a Superior Human Being.

Mike, at the Lenox Apple Store, you're not better than me, you're just rude.

2 comments:

Jean in Georgia said...

Go to the store at Perimeter Mall next time you need to go. They've been extremely helpful every time we've been there (and I've only had to read them the riot act once -- and it wasn't their fault. The hardware had failed an unacceptable number of times, and they took an appropriate action to rectify the situation).

cliff said...

Next time, go to the Apple Store at Northpoint Mall in Alpharetta. It's easier to get to from here, the traffic is much more manageable, and the atmosphere is a bit more low-key.

While I undersstand the tech's suspicion that a Windows incompatibility may have been a contributing factor (since Windows lets pretty much anyone load their operating system on any hardware configuration, it's much harder to determine hardware-based issues on a Windows computer because you really don't know what you're getting on a lot of them), he was wrong to be rude about it. I suspect he actually thought he was being funny, and it just didn't come across that way. We've all known people who didn't realize that their humor came across as hostility or condescension...