Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Irony

Funny-in-a-horrible-way story:

I had to drive to Athens yesterday for research for one of my classes; since I drove all the way there and back, today I decided I'd take the car in for an oil change. When I was leaving KSU and taking the sharp turns in the parking garage the car made a rrrrr sort of noise when I made the turns, then was silent by the time I was actually on Frey Road. Got home and my tax return was waiting for me, but since I wasn't expecting it until April or later I hadn't actually thought of anything to buy with it (except for sort of wanting a bike). Called Goodyear, told them the whole story, brought it in, got the oil change and then they come out with their funeral faces on and they're like 'You have to see this, it's going to be hard to explain...'

And basically, that rrrrr noise was the sound of my entire tax return being spent.

Good news: I actually have the money to do the repair, because of the tax return.
Bad news: No tax return means I have no money.
Good news: I don't have to pay for the car to be fixed.
Bad news: No bike.

(and because one person already asked, no, do not buy me a bike.)

2 comments:

cliff said...

Quit going to Goodyear. Julie has already discovered that they charge her for a $1000 repair that was (a) unnecessary, and (b) totally irrelevant to the minor problem that she had observed.

Find a good authorized dealer for your car and use them. Goodyear needs to be off limits.

Bentochan said...

Mom and I have always used the same Goodyear, which has never jerked us around. Whenever something is wrong with my car I run it past my Uncle who used to work as a mechanic, get his opinion, then check that against what Goodyear is telling me, just to be sure. Then I check the prices of the parts and the service with my Uncle.

So far, everything has been on the level. And this last repair was something even I could see was wrong when I went out into the garage to look at it.