Monday, January 21, 2008

Diet Ponderings

As I was making lunch today I thought I'd break out this chart Dad sent me, out of some nutrtional eating site or book he found. It helps you calculate what your calories should be, and how much fat you should have, and protien. Stuff like that. I did all the math on it, and since I'm making a whole lot of steamed vegetables these days all by myself I really haven't got an easy reference for what the calories are on those. Today it was just carrots, onions, and green beans with some garlic powder thrown on top- but it's not out of a bag, and I haven't got one of those scales to weigh how much of everything there is, so I don't really have any idea about it's stats. It's vegetables, so it probably doesn't matter, but...

So, then I got out the chicken tenderloins, and looked at the package of them. Two of them is about 100 calories, so I checked the salt and it's... 8% of my daily value, which is alright for the first meal of the day, I guess. I thought there'd be more since they have a coating to keep them seperatly frozen and all that. The protein is about half my daily value of that, according to the chart.

Suddenly I was wondering if I'm even eating enough calorie-wise when I have chicken and vegetables. It's healthy, sure, but the only calories I can figure from it are the chicken's. Hrmmm.

1 comment:

CoyoteAl said...

A HUGE congrats on your weight loss. I hope you can hear me applaud you.

Also, fyi, the carrots may have a few calories in them. Not many, though. The little guys do contain some sugars, but those are GOOD sugars! Not the nasty, high-fructose corn syrupy sugars. Boo!

Keep it up! You are doing a helluva job! :)