Thursday, August 20, 2009

Fall Semester

Oh man, second day of fall semester tomorrow.

The first day was kind of a bust- my cell phone has this battery saving feature that if it's plugged in long enough it shuts off, which is really great when it's your alarm clock. All my favorite coffee mugs were in the wash. Parking was a nightmare, and when I got to class it was so full there were no seats so I had to sit on the floor. Some guy showed up about five minutes after I did and the teacher laughed and told him to "pull up some carpet and start taking notes".

However, the classes themselves were great, whatever snags there were. Medieval Europe, Gender in Media (it's a Gender and Women's Studies class- sort of on interpreting books and tv shows), British Literature until the 1600s, and Latin. I've got the BritLit one with a teacher I had a few semesters ago, so it's good seeing her again.

The other thing that was really great? I'm sure some of you have heard how angry I was about the meal plan business the school started up- it's mandatory even if you live off campus and expensive and I don't really like the campus food. Well, they built us a new dining hall which is named the Culinary Center or something pompous sounding like that. To get in you walk under this roof that looks like Lady Liberty's crown, and swipe your school ID card and you're let loose in this mall sized open space that has all these kiosk restaurants. The only thing I can think to compare it to is a really good Vegas buffet, minus the high end seafood. There's a place that does southern food, a coffee bar, breakfast bar, international food (THERE WAS GOAT ON THE MENU ON TUESDAY CAN YOU BELIEVE IT), a diner type place, Italian, and a salad bar... Oh, and a Chinese place. I'm probably forgetting about half the places in there. And there's a bazillion tables and booths and lots of windows and some sort of space age robot dishwasher where you put your plates on a conveyor belt and they disappear to the future to be cleaned.

Only con: I think I saw TWO power outlets in the place. They designed it to keep you from camping. Which isn't really a con, I guess. I donno. While I was eating in there I wanted to work on a story and couldn't.

ALSO THEY HAVE CHEESECAKE.

CHEESECAKE. OMG.

Anyway, I only get to go there eleven more times this semester... Unless I want to buy more visits or something... So I'm going to try and save mine til November, and remember to bring a powerstrip.

Speaking of November, I already put up two Nano fliers on campus. Yay!

2 comments:

Jean in Georgia said...

Wow. The food there has really changed since dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was there. :) Latin, eh? I actually liked Latin while all my middle school and high school classmates hated it. I'll be interested in hearing your opinion.

Unknown said...

I found this laying around, looks intresting...

Once you enter the facility, you are invited to stay as long as you would like and eat whatever you’d like.

The second floor will feature two outdoor terraces as well as soft seating areas that will encourage group projects and quiet space for studying. There will be an area of Breakout Rooms that can be configured as 1, 2, or 3 rooms depending on need. The rooms will be completely A/V ready and their use by students, faculty, and staff will be governed by a policy developed by the Student Government Association in conjuction with the University Council.

The facility will be open seven days a week, with initial operating hours of 7:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Monday – Friday. On Saturdays and Sundays, the operating hours will begin at 10:30 a.m. and end at 8:00 p.m.